Helping Your Child Memorize Scripture
Scripture memorization is a crucial component in every believer’s spiritual growth. Memorizing God’s Word gives us victory over sin and a renewed mind in Christ (Romans 12:1-2). God’s Word is powerful because it is literally “God-breathed” (1 Timothy 3:16-17). The Word of God is alive and active, providing us with a supernatural power to help us live a godly and righteous life (Hebrews 4:12).
Memorizing Scripture is both a privilege and a responsibility. When we fill our minds with His words, we are implementing one of the most powerful tools available to us. God’s Word is a powerful weapon against sin and our only offensive weapon (Psalm 119:11, Ephesians 6:17). We must follow Christ’s example quoting Scripture to defeat Satan (Matthew 4:1-11). When temptation comes, we can rely on the verses we have already memorized. With prompting from the Holy Spirit, we have the power we need within us to fight our Enemy whose goal is to destroy us (1 Peter 5:8).
Here are some tips to help our children hide God’s Word in their hearts:
- Start with key verses of Christianity, learning one phrase at a time.
- Write verses you are learning on Post-it Notes around the house or on index cards for the car.
- Practice reciting the verse by alternating words with your child or saying a portion of the verse and pausing to allow your child to fill in the blank.
- Write the verse you are learning on a chalkboard or dry erase board that is visible at mealtimes. Practice the verse together as a family.
- Write the verse on the bathroom mirrors with a dry erase marker.
- Write each word of the verse on an index card, and allow your children to unscramble the words.
- Sing the verse to a simple or familiar tune, and make it a part of your child’s bedtime routine.
- Say one word of the verse as you pass a ball back and forth.
- Make up motions to help your child remember the words to the verse they are learning.
- Older children may want to write the verses they memorize in a Scripture journal or use websites and apps designed for Scripture memorization.
- Provide small rewards for memorized verses.
- Most importantly, discuss each verse you choose to memorize with your child, and discuss how your child can apply the verse to their daily life.
*From D6 Family Kids Toolbox Topics